Sunday, July 25, 2010

What are you training for now?

A lot of people on top of Horsetooth Rock this morning waiting for the sunrise.


I've been getting this question a lot lately. Especially after I raced back to back weekends in June, including my first 100 at Bighorn. I never know how to answer this question. There are no upcoming races scheduled for me, just lots of trails that I would like to explore. Maybe I could say that I am training for Hardrock which could be next year or five years from now and is currently the hardest event I envision trying to compete in. The most accurate answer to this question, however, is that I am training today so I can run up another mountain tomorrow (and enjoy it).

I kept it local for today's "training" run. No spectacular high mountain peaks, just a lot of beautiful, rugged singletrack in the Fort Collins foothills (Horsetooth Mountain Park and Lory State Park). Still able to rack up 4500 feet of vertical in just over 20 miles on these little mountains.

Today's Course

For those familiar with these trails:
Southridge-AudraCulver-HorsetoothRock-Soderberg-Wathen-Westridge-Towers-MillCreek-Howard-ArthursRock-Valley-Sawmill-Stout-SpringCreek-HorsetoothFalls

Start and Finish at Horsetooth Mountain Trailhead

No comments:

Post a Comment